Monday, May 7, 2007

Episode 3 - What's In it For Me? Why Learn English?

http://streamer.utsa.edu/ramgen/2007/Spring/FS/ESL6973.901.Wright/Trial.Interviews.mp3
Produced by:
Carol Costello
Rita Radke
Koyin Sung

Age/Grade Level: Teens - Young Adults
English Language Proficiency level - Beginning to Intermediate

Instructions

Listen to Carol interviewing Koyin and Rita about why they learned English and tell someone why you are learning English.

Script for Podcast

Music

Carol: Hello, today we are going to talk about why people learn languages. Basically people learn languages for a lot of different reasons. Several of the principle reasons are in order to travel because of course you need other languages in other countries if you want to eat, for jobs, as an icebreaker in getting to know people, for education al purposes so that you can pick up a higher education in other countries and also to understand other cultures. In order to understand what motivates people to learn languages, I have . . we have the pleasure of having a couple of English learners here with us to talk about their experiences. So, without further ado, I introduce, ta, ta,
Koyin: Hi, my name is Koyin Sung from Taiwan. How are you today? Ni hou ma?

Carol: Koyin, you’ve fought the language wars. Tell us, why did you learn English?

Koyin: I started learning English when I was a teenager. I love to travel, so every summer, when I had summer vacation I would go to England to learn English.

Carol: Wonderful! And we are so happy to have you here in San Antonio. I have on the other side, Rita Radke. Rita, why did you learn English? And where do you come from?

Rita: Hi, my name is Rita and I’m from Hungary. The reason why I decided to learn English is that when I about 12 I visited Turkey with my parents and I noticed that everyone who we had interaction with as tourists, they all spoke English. So I figured this is a really useful language and this is the language that I would like to learn.

[BELL!]

Rita: Hi, this is Rita. Do you remember why I decided to learn English?

[Pause]

[BELL!]

Koyin: Hi, my name is Koyin. Do you still remember why I started learning English?

[Pause]

Carol: And now it’s your turn. Find someone to tell why you want to learn English.

[Pause]

Carol: Before we leave you, we like to thank you and tell you . . .

Carol, Koyin, Rita: GOOD BYE!

[Music]


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm learning English because I find English a very beautiful languge.I like it very much! It's God's words. Also,of course it is very widely used today, so it is important for us to know how to use it for communication.
I'm from China.

P.S.
Please go on I like your work!